His Name is Elliot, and He is ADHD

One of my favorite readers and  I were chatting on Facebook. She was explaining how her fifth grade boy loved my writing. He thinks I am cool and likes that I have ADHD, just like he does. He is clearly  a fine judge of character. He also has excellent taste in hats. I asked Elliot if he would like to write a blog post for my site, and he agreed with great excitement. He has done so, and I have to say, this is the most honest thing I have ever read. The main requirement one must have to write for me, is that they must be awesome. Elliot has met this requirement, and he will read any comments you may have for him.  His name is Elliot, he is my youngest fan, and he is my friend.

Elliot

By Elliot

I am Elliot and I am 10 years old. I am in the 5th grade. I am ADHD. One of the things that makes me mad is that I am ADHD. I want to be normal like all the other kids. I do not want to take medicine. I don’t like the medicine. I do not feel anything. Nobody else I know takes medicine. I do focus better but I still get mad about taking it. I try to get out of taking it and my mom watches me swallow the pill in the morning. That makes me mad too!

In the morning I do not like to get up and get dressed. I always get mad and argue with my mom about getting ready. I don’t like being told what to do. My mom yells that I am going to be late, every day. I have been better lately. My teacher emailed my mom and told her to have me there earlier in the morning.

I wasn’t getting my math morning work done. In school, I do not like my reading teacher. She yells when I don’t turn in my homework. She is mean because she is old, I think. I forget my homework at home and sometimes I just forget to write down what I am supposed to do. Then I do it the next night. She yells a lot in the classroom. I get mad when I get a bad grade on a test. I want a good grade, not a bad grade. Sometimes I do not have enough time to finish a test. Sometimes I take too long on a question.

elliotis

The other day I got mad and put my knees up to my chest, pulled my hood over my head and zipped up my jacket and circled “c” for every answer. I didn’t care. It was reading class. When I have to learn new things, I get angry. I do not like to have to learn new things. I think I should already know them. My mom says everyone has to learn new things. She says it is impossible to know everything and that is why I go to school.

Change makes me get mad too. I do not like change. I like things to stay the same. I do not like to do different things. My homework takes a long time to do. My math homework takes most of the time. Sometimes I draw on my paper instead of doing the problems. I get angry when I cannot go outside to play with my friends. I know that I am taking too long to do my work, but I do not care. I still get mad and throw my pencil. When I am playing outside, I get mad when I have to stop doing something to come in for dinner or for bed. I get mad when I have to stop playing my video games. I am good at my video games and then I have to stop when I am in the middle of something important!!

My dad makes me angry when he says he will do something with me and then he doesn’t. He says he doesn’t have time. Sometimes I think he is just lazy. He does things with me but not as much as when we lived at our other house.

Picture1Chores are something I hate to do and I get mad. I do not like to do them and will lay on my bed instead of doing them. I have to clean up my room and clean up the bathroom. I always throw my clothes on the floor. My hamper is in my room, but I still throw them on the floor. I get mad because I waste time not doing my chores and then I can’t play Xbox or with my friends. I get mad at my mom because I don’t think I should have to do chores. I always have to stop watching TV shows because my mom says that they are not good for me to watch. The ones I want to watch are the ones she doesn’t like. That makes me mad. I want to watch them. Sometimes it is because I have to take a shower. Sometimes it is just a show for older kids or moms and dads and I am not old enough to see it. That makes me very mad.

Those are some of the things that make me mad in a day. Some days I am angry about all of them, some days, not every single one. I do get angry lots of times during the day. I usually say mean things at my mom and dad when I am mad. I do not at school. I just sit there mad and do not do my work. I get the Xbox taken away a lot and now I cannot watch Scooby Doo until I am dressed in the morning.

That is my story about all the things that make me mad.

I am Elliot, and you are welcome.

follow me on Facebook  here. OR scroll up and click the button that says, “BE AWESOME” IT WILL FEEL GREAT!!!

This entry was posted in ADD, ADHD, KIDS, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to His Name is Elliot, and He is ADHD

1. Sherry says:

awesome!!! He has a nice hat. Love the pictures!!!

2. SebGary says:

Elliot, thanks, I appreciate reading about you.

3. Brings back sooooo many memories! p}!{k

4. I got a nephew that I think you’d get along with. He tends to think just like you. And he is awesome.

5. Awesome, helped me understand what my son must think a lot of the time. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

6. Sandy says:

Thanks Elliot I think you may have helped me understand my son Justin who will be 11 a bit better

7. Don’t know if my 1st comment went through, so here I go again! Elliot thank you so much for sharing your feelings! I have a soon to be 11 year old boy named Justin, whom until now I had NO clue what/how he was thinking/feeling! Thanks to YOU I feel a bit better and will be bale to share this with him come tomorrow. Thanks!
    From a mom who is 4ever wondering how she can help/do better for her son
    Sandy

8. Laura L Hallett says:

Elliot I have to say you are a really awesome guy (and I too love the hat) To let us all know and feel what you are feeling is so wonderful. It makes me realize that I must listen to my grandson not only with my ears but with my eyes and heart. Thank You

9. Elliot, thank you for telling what makes you mad. That is awesome.

Grown-ups get mad to, sometimes about the same things. I don’t like doing my chores either. Sometimes I do what you do and just lay on my bed and hope the chores will do themselves, they never do though. I don’t like taking my medicine either, it makes me mad that I have to. But if I don’t take my medicine something bad might happen, so I take it.

Elliott, I hope you write more. You did great.

10. sherry says:

Thank you for commenting nice things. I was nervous to write it but I am glad I did. I will write again if Tom asks me to. From Elliot

11. Gray Dawster says:

What an awesome posting, and by the way your hat is also awesome 🙂 I guess that writing for Tom Nardone makes everything in the world awesome and you have done really well letting everyone know how you feel.

You might be surprised but even adults get mad about things, they even throw clothes on the floor sometimes, they also do not work on their chores and get mad about lots of different things too.

The main thing is to always try to do things, they won’t always be perfectly done, whether it is something at home or at school but trying is very important and it learns all of us to do better.

Have a lovely day today Elliot 🙂

Andro

12. Mercedes says:

Elliot- thanks for sharing. I have 3 boys. My oldest is almost 17. We knew he had ADHD since he was about 3. He’s been on medication since he was 6. And it sucks. I hate having to remind him to take his pills. I also hate having to go to the doctor all the time and deal with insurance. On the plus side- he is SO SMART! And he is very athletic. He can do anything he wants to. He’s also a great writer! Find something you’re good at and go for it. Also, try to find something physical like running, riding a bike or a sport. Being active really helps kids with ADHD. 🙂

13. Marie McGee says:

Hey Elliot! You sound a lot like my daughter! She gets angry when I wake her up in the morning and she does not like taking her medicine either! We call them her “brain pills”, because I always tell Daphne that the pills will help her brain so she can focus in school & not get as angry about everything! Remember being mad is normal… we all get mad sometimes! And it seems like your a pretty swell writer, so anytime you are mad or frustrated sit down and write! 🙂

14. Seb Rod says:

Dropped by to see what’s new and how Elliot is doing. All the sudden it started snowing on this website, how cool is that. Cultr.

15. Lisa says:

Hi, Elliott. My son who is 11 and in the 5th grade is ADHD too. He read this and thought it was awesome! He says, “Elliott is GREAT! He’s just like me, Mom!” So, we’d both like to thank you for sharing your story. It’s cool to know that there are kids just like you who worry about the same stuff and who get mad when they can’t play Xbox and have to do math homework.
    In your story you said that you want to be normal like the other kids. Elliott, you ARE normal. And you’re awesome just the way you are.