This is Why Many ADHD Blogs Suck

“This is Why Many ADHD Blogs Suck”

big nuts

I want to throw some words at you and I imagine many of them you have heard before:

I ask if you are a regular reader of my blog, please bear with me. I assure you we will be lighting this thing off in just a moment.

neuroreceptors, neurotransmitters, neurobiology, right or left brain hemisphere, brain development, brain scans, brain chemistry, brain imaging, Classic ADHD, Inattentive ADHD, Over-focused ADHD,  Temporal Lobe ADHD, Limbic ADHD, The Ring of Fire.

What is wrong with these words? Well nothing is wrong with them if you are a doctor or a medical professional. These are your words and you need them to speak to the people you work with. I suppose there is nothing wrong with these words if you are in medical school, I mean Hell those words might be on the test. You probably should get to know them. I respect anyone trying to help people by offering them the science behind the condition. Parents have a desire to understand what is bugging their children, but if you are a blogger, and you want ADHD readers,  you don’t ever need to use these words unless your name is Tom Nardone, and you are writing a story about why so many ADHD blogs are shitty.

The other type of shitty ADHD blog is the one where you can’t even find the story because it is too hard to determine the blog from the seventy-five medication ads littering the page. The whole story will be one little paragraph and the rest of the page is nothing but ads. The person responsible for this, is not even a blogger. This person is simply a money-grubbing son of a bitch.

Those of us with ADHD, are all tuned into the same station WII-FM (What’s In It For Me) This is why when I write about ADHD,  I write about the only thing important to anyone. I write about people with ADHD. I write to entertain and to inspire. That is ALL that is important to me. The creativity in writers who are ADHD far outweigh the doctors and cyber-whores junking up the internet with their scientific psychobabble.

be that way

What it boils down to a complete lack of awesomeness. The ADHD non-sense being churned out on the social networks of the internet is out of control. Nobody ever gets inspired by bar graphs, pie charts, or brain diagrams that point to the area of your brain that prevents you from giving a shit if your house is clean or not. I think I speak for many ADHD people when I say, “Hey we don’t give a shit!”

There are people out there who are in pain every day for whom ADHD is not a gift. It is a menacing cloud of “I can’t give a shit”. These people need to know they are not alone. It is important to them to have others they can relate to. They go to the internet and look for some refuge or some support. They don’t need to read a doctor posting about the differences in the six, twelve or however many types of ADHD diagnoses there are.

I have been writing for almost two years now. I have two Blogs that
I own. I write for several reasons, and not the least of which, is the attention it brings me. I am ADHD and I need attention all the time and this is what keeps me going. In my other blog I have said many things some people wouldn’t  consider saying in a public forum. I have advocated bankruptcy as a fun way to improve you financial standing. I have written about the best ways to call in sick to work, and most recently, a large group of my followers have been tracking my bowel movements as if they were NORAD tracking a missile headed for the Planet earth. This came after my unexpected stay in the hospital.

However, when I write about ADHD I have a different purpose. I want people to see being ADHD does not have to feel like a disorder. I want them to be OK with it. I want them to not be ashamed of it. I believe this is what people need to hear. I don’t want them to become normal I want them to break out and embrace all the things about themselves that make them different from the rest of the world.

I want them to feel like it is OK to go grocery shopping at 2 pm on a Tuesday in their pajamas. I want them to stare the pharmacist right in the face who is giving them the stink eye when they pick up their ADHD medication and say, “Hey is it OK if I fix right here in the store”. I want them to fear nothing.

Writing about ADHD for me is not a responsibility, a gig, or a chore. It is a privilege, and an honor. I Love ADHD people and it hurts me to know people are in pain as I once was. I have sat at my computer and literally cried at the realism of what some kids are going through in school today. I will never be anything but Tom Nardone.

I am Tom Nardone and you are welcome.

WAIT!!! I AM NOT DONE YET!!!!!

Today, I would like to be a giver. Today, I would like to identify one of my heroes. This writer, like me, is complete with soul, conscience, and a story to tell.

1e024aab-3313-49c8-82d9-a6bcfe2e4fec

Andrew Wilcox

Meet Andrew Wilcox

Andrew has lived an incredibly challenging life because of his ADHD, and I know him to care emphatically about those of us for whom ADHD affects. He shares true stories of his own life for the betterment of us all. I really29f877ddc71728346b love Andrew. In addition to rocking the captain America costume he is a father with three kids. Andrew is incredibly willing to speak of his goals and dreams as well as his failures and shortcomings. Andrew’s blog is an ADHD blog, and I have been brought to tears by the honesty of this man. He inspires me because he is always trying new things to make his life better. It is for this reason that he be awarded Hero status by ADHD People.

Andrew, thanks for being a hero to us all.

You can check Andrew out with the link above or follow his facebook page

• tom nardone dusterIf you would like to be notified of future stories, you can join the I Am Tom Nardone Facebook Group by clicking HERE. or ADHDpeople Here
    • Or you can enter you email address at the top of this page and click the button that says “BE AWESOME”
    • Or you could risk never hearing from me again and go through life without the benefit of my counsel, but what would be the fun in that

This entry was posted in ADHD, FAMILY and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to This is Why Many ADHD Blogs Suck

1. You are so talented it makes me jealous. I laugh, and I think when I read your work. Great writing and comic relief. 🙂 If your published on Amazon Kindle I’ll buy a book, if your not you should be writing one.

here is your attention from me today tomnardone. thanks for helping so many others with your honesty, your words, your humor. i will leave it to you to have the last word on this.

3. A.J. Goode says:

Thank you, Tom. I really needed to read this today.

4. sherry says:

This is fantastic. I love the Norad comment. Just hilarious. This is also perfectly said about all of us with ADHD. You have nailed it. Amen, brotha!

5. Pingback: This is Why Many ADHD Blogs Suck Those o | I AM TOM NARDONE

6. I sure as hell wouldn’t have discovered your Awesomeness had you used all the typical bullshit terms. I’m in it for the residual fame and glory.

7. Agnes Barrett says:

This made me laugh! Of course I had to read half, put it down and do something else, then read the other half. When my pharmacist gave me the stink eye I started to ramble all the medical jargon I could think of. Then I gave him the stink eye because he had no clue what ADHD was all about!

8. You are also a great big awesome hero. I do hope you know it, absorb it into your pores and never take a shower (will at least not one that would wash away your hero).

9. Crimson Scott says:

Love your blogs because I can relate to you! I had to stop reading this several times because you have those Damn snowflakes that I want to put my finger on and move around the screen! Keep up the good work and get rid of these damn snowflakes Tom! LOL

CRIMSON,
    Indianapolis, In.

10. Caleb McCoy says:

It’s taken me a while to understand that being “normal” instead of having my adhd would be awful. No one normal, including my doc, understand what I mean. My meds fine tune my high-speed ADHD brain and give me an advantage over everyone else. I can task all day at work and make it blow by like an hour. Being adhd kicks ass every damn day. Sometimes even until 3am. lol

11. Gray Dawster says:

You are a wonderful, talented, wicked and awesome guy Tom Nardone and don’t you forget it, or I will send my Zombies round and you know what that means 😦

Just continue being whom you are, and that is an incredibly likable man with talents that extend far beyond the outer limits of the universe 🙂

Tom Nardone is our kind of Hero, everyone knows that…

Andro

12. Andrew Wilcox says:

When I question what to write about next, or what my purpose is in all of this, I come back to this. You have motivated me when I had no motivation in myself, and I greatly appreciate it. Your readers are right in pointing out the hero in you, and I am right there with them!

13. Amy says:

I am glad to give my vote as a sign of attention to you! You are very talented and I love you blog!

14. Gina Pera says:

“a large group of my followers have been tracking my bowel movements as if they were NORAD tracking a missile headed for the Planet earth.”

How exciting for all of you!!!! lol!

15. SEE – even those whose blogs contain almost ALL of the words you cite love to read your stuff and “like” you!!! Since I’d be the first to admit that I’ve become a bit of a neuro-geek, I have to say that I actually **search out** those terms ::lol:: – different strokes, right?

As you already know – I’m trying to rattle some science cages and force a crack in the confirmation bias of the researchers (and sneak in a bit of that currently demonized “anecdotal” among the big words).

I like to think of myself as a sort of science writer for individuals on the ADD/EFD continuum — sharing what I’ve learned in the last 25 years of non-stop geek-reads. I try to insert “English language explanations” & 1st person experience in my science-heavy articles (aka “brain-based”) — and rotate in Series with so-much-MORE – and I k-n-o-w that most of us read from “rock to rock” and only like tiny tastes at a time when reading.

I’m always wordy – shoot me! – but even YOU have related to a couple of things, so I’m a happy girl. (and thanks again for letting folks know what you’ve liked, btw)

It’s always fun to see who responds to what – but I know I get on jags when I hyperfocus – which is why my content has been designed to be Evergreen.

I hope I’m not included with the snore-bores, even tho’ *nobody* will ever be as AWESOME as the Great (not yet Late) Tom Nardone!!! (yes, you may quote me – 😉 . Pinning that A-thing, btw

btw – I claimed “ADD Poster Girl” l-o-n-g ago — but I think “ADHD Poster Boy” must be yours.

xx,
    mgh
    (Madelyn Griffith-Haynie – ADDandSoMuchMore dot com)
    – ADD Coach Training Field founder; ADD Coaching co-founder –
    “It takes a village to transform a world!”

16. Donna Harvey says:

That didn’t suck (repeat a few times). In fact, I liked it.